TERMS & CONDITIONS
For all persons participating in a class or course conducted by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts Academy must agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct. Breaking this code of conduct may result in membership being cancelled. Emerald Dragon Martial Arts reserves the right to make amendments or additions to this Code of Conduct at any time.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Our objectives; Emerald Dragon Martial Arts Academy has as its key objectives:
- To preserve, maintain and pass on traditional martial arts values and spirit.
- Providing instruction in a safe environment.
- Developing the mental and physical tools for improving personal development.
- Promotion of good health and vitality.
- Development of positive self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Development of a person as a positive role model in the community.
- Creating expertise in confrontation management.
- Pro-active crime prevention through increased awareness and positive attitudes.
- Developing healthy community attitudes and values.
Participant Understanding; Shaolin Kung Fu including Wushu, & Sanda (kickboxing) are contact martial arts, meaning they involve physical contact with one or more other practitioners in ways designed to simulate as closely as possible the self-defence options available to a practitioner when confronted with physical aggression and/or threatening behaviour. As in any other physically demanding recreational activity, there is always a risk of injury. Any person participating in a class conducted by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts does so with the full understanding that whilst it is the policy of Emerald Dragon Martial Arts to minimise this risk, the nature of contact physical activity prevents its total elimination. Persons participating in a class conducted by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts do so of their own volition and at their own risk.
- All coaches are bound by the “Instructors Code of Ethics” of the Martial Arts Industry Association.
- All unsupervised coaches must have current Work Cover approved Senior First Aid certification.
- All unsupervised coaches must have in place appropriate accreditation.
- All unsupervised coaches must be covered by public liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- All Instructors will be bound by this Code of Conduct and the National Code of Practice for Martial Arts Instructors or equivalent.
FEES & PAYMENTS
- Program Membership Fees – Ongoing programs
Persons participating in a regular program at Emerald Dragon Martial Arts must have an active membership in the selected program(s). All program membership fees are paid fortnightly by a subscription payment. Program membership fees are calculated for 48 weeks of the year of possible program classes. Payments are payable 26 fortnights a year. (We close for 4 weeks maximum each year. These closures have been deducted from the total year cost, so the program membership fees represent this. For your budgeting convenience, the payments are spread out fortnightly, so you pay a lower rate each fortnight, – this means that payments continue during these breaks. If you would prefer to pay for 12 months up front, please contact us).
2. Courses & Seminars
Payment is payable up front in advance. (All sales are final and not refundable).
Spectators & Visitors
- Spectators & visitors are allowed on acceptance of the conditions of entry.
- All spectators and visitors must by guests of members or by invitation of Emerald Dragon Martial Arts.
- All spectators & visitors must report to the front desk prior to entry.
- All spectators must remain in the designated area and are not permitted to enter the training area uninvited.
- Coaches and assistants will ensure that the training area is clear of any dangerous and/or sharp objects that may provide a risk of injury.
- Coaches and participants will have access at all times to a fully equipped first aid kit. The kit will be of the minimum standard of a St Johns Industrial First Aid Kit or equivalent.
- Persons must not wear jewellery or watches during classes or training sessions.
- All persons participating in any training program agree to maintain self-control at all times and maintain all care in the application of any technique.
- Any person, who, in training, exhibits behavior that, in the judgement of the coach, is a danger to other participants, shall not be allowed to continue training until the Coach determines the danger is no longer present.
Training Area Etiquette
- Participants will bow in the appropriate manner upon entering and leaving the Training Area.
- Participants must be punctual, so that they are ready to train when class commences. If arriving late, a person must wait at the side of the Training Area until the Instructor indicates that person may join the class.
- Participants must not chew gum whilst training.
- Mobile phones must be turned off during training. Mobile phones inadvertently left on during training may not be answered. Any person who is “on-call” for work may seek approval from the instructor prior to the commencement of class to leave his or her mobile phone on.
Uniforms & Personal Training Equipment
All participants must wear the following approved uniform / clothing and footwear during class sessions:
- Little Dragons – Approved Kung Fu uniform or Black Kung Fu pants and club T Shirt, sash, and approved shoes.
- Kids Kung Fu & Kids BBC– Approved Kung Fu uniform or Black Kung Fu pants and club T Shirt, sash, and approved shoes.
- Adults Kung Fu & Adults BBC – Approved Kung Fu uniform or Black Kung Fu pants and club T Shirt, sash, and approved shoes.
- Tai Chi – Comfortable clothing or Tai Chi uniform, and approved shoes.
- Participants inappropriately attired may not be allowed to train.
- A second top (GI top or T-shirt) must be worn if the practitioners original top has been prone to perspiration or if the practitioner is participating in multiple or consecutive classes.
- Participants must bring a towel to each training session.
- All required training equipment must be stored neatly in an equipment bag.
Sparring equipment requirements
- Persons participating in sparring activity must purchase and wear approved sparring equipment appropriate and suitable to the type of sparring as directed by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts.
Sickness or Injury
- Participants must not train if they are suffering from the flu or other viral infection that may be passed on to other persons.
- Participants must advise the coach if suffering from any injury or medical condition, either permanent or temporary, which may be adversely affected by certain types of training. Some examples of this may include blood pressure problems and cardiac disorders, neck and back injuries, diabetes and asthma.
- If requested by the coach, persons with the above or like conditions must show this Code of Conduct to their physician and secure a medical certificate clearly stating that the person is able to participate in classes conducted by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts Academy and whether there are any restrictions or conditions applicable.
Other Health Issues
- Persons must not attend classes under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Smoking is not allowed in or around the Training Area.
- Participants participating in a class must give proper attention to personal hygiene and exhibit clean grooming; and ensure that fingernails and toenails are trimmed and clean.
- Participants participating in a class with a cut or bleeding injury must cease training immediately and receive appropriate first aid. Re-joining the class / training session will not be allowed until the coach has deemed that is safe to do so.
- Persons administering first aid to a person suffering a cut or bleeding injury must wear protective gloves.
Training Area Ethics
- Respect must displayed by all participants to all senior grades, coaches and officials and junior participants.
- Persons must always be courteous and helpful to each other.
- Physical contact between persons who are training must be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the skill development of those persons.
- Sexual harassment, defined as being where a person is subjected to unwanted or uninvited sexual behaviour, will not be tolerated.
- Any form of discrimination based on sex, ethnic origin, language, colour, or other form of differentiation will not be tolerated.
- Opportunity to grade under the Emerald Dragon Martial Arts Shaolin Kung Fu programs grade syllabus occurs periodically as announced by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts. A person may only grade at these times subject to the final determination of the coach.
- A “Grading Application Form” must be completed and submitted prior to the announced grading day with prescribed grading fee.
- In assessing a person’s readiness to grade, the coach takes into consideration such factors as consistency of attendance, attitude, focus and attention during training sessions, as much as a person’s knowledge of the Emerald Dragon Martial Arts syllabus.
- To secure grading under the Emerald Dragon Martial Arts Academy Shaolin Kung Fu syllabus a person must be a current financial member with Emerald Dragon Martial Arts.
- Emerald Dragon Martial Arts reserves the right to revoke the grading of any person who breaches this Code of Conduct.
Use of Image; Photographic or video image of persons participating in class programs may be used by Emerald Dragon Martial Arts or any entity that Emerald Dragon Martial Arts so authorizes for advertising, marketing, promotions, or other at Emerald Dragon Martial Arts management discretion. No claim for the use of these images / video can be made.